Thursday, June 21, 2007

Parenting Book


So I've expanded my reading skills from fiction novels to parenting books. Yes, parenting books. I know, I know, but I figure it's time to start growing up and being a responsible adult since we're about to bring a new life completely dependent on us into this world. The eventual goal (besides enjoying blissful years of parenting with perfect children) is to NOT have anyone over the college age still living in our house when we're ready to retire and enjoy our kid-free lives.

So the book I'm reading is "Parenting with Love & Logic." It's incredible. First, because it's not a boring "how to" book that makes me want to poke my eyeballs out. Second, and most importantly, is because it makes total sense! It's all about teaching the child to make decisions at an early age (like starting at 9 mos) so they can learn how to use their thought processes when it becomes time to make the big important decisions (like studying for school, saving money, drugs, sex, etc.) Then they learn to become more independent at an earlier age. It also teaches the parent not to take on so much and make the child responsible for their own actions & choices.

Anyway, here's a couple of articles explaining the method:
Article 1
Article 2

If any of you have info or thoughts on this, please, by all means share. There are so many books and methods out there and to be honest I really haven't done a lot of research on other ways to parent but this seems to be what we relate to as potential parents. And I haven't done a lot of research on the book & method itself...book reviews are a whole different reading genre that I'm just not ready for!!! ;-)

5 comments:

Sharaze Colley said...

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Martini-Playdate-Practical-Guide-Parenting/dp/0811840549

(Sorry about the link. Blogger won't let me do the html.)

Ok. So it isn't really a "serious" parenting book. It is, however, a good "how not to turn into the creepy cat lady book." The one star reviews are, I think, from the kind of people who have no sense of humor or irony. Kind of like the person who got mad at me once for forwarding the "boy with a burlap sack body" spoof. (http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/burlap.asp)

Sharaze Colley said...

eh. well, the linkage didn't work out too well :/

Mike said...

Here you go sweetie:

http://tinyurl.com/2r93r6

Just for you. Personally, I think I'm going to try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3xfn8p

Unknown said...

OMG, I LOVE the poor burlap sack boy! Too bad for him, huh? ;-)

Unknown said...

Great books, guys! Our child's going to be so well adjusted! ;-P